Last updated: 16 August 2022
Who can travel?
The following passengers are permitted to enter India:
- Citizens and residents of India;
- Citizens of Bhutan, the Maldives and Nepal;
- Passengers with an Overseas Citizen of India (OCI) card or booklet (if OCI is issued against an old passport, passenger must carry both new and old passports);
- Passengers with a Person of Indian Origin (PIO) card;
- Passengers with a diplomatic passport and a NOC (No Objection Certificate) issued by the Ministry of External Affairs
With immediate effect, foreign citizens with e-tourist and type T tourist visas, both paper and sticker, issued before 06 October 2021, can now enter India except for citizens of China and Afghanistan.
- citizens of the United States of America and Japan holding old and valid long-duration sticker visas (valid for 10 years). Regular tourist visas are restored and remain valid for entry.
- long-duration regular tourist visas (sticker visas) issued to citizens of Canada before March 2020 remain suspended.
- medical visas issued on or before 21 October 2021 are no longer valid.
Tourist visas issued to citizens of China (People's Rep.) are no longer valid.
Tourist visas with a validity of 10 years are no longer valid. This does not apply to citizens of Japan and the United States of America.
E-tourist visas are valid for the following passengers:
- citizens of Albania, Andorra, Angola, Anguilla, Antigua and Barbuda, Argentina, Armenia, Aruba, Australia, Austria, Azerbaijan, Bahamas, Barbados, Belarus, Belgium, Belize, Benin, Bolivia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Botswana, Brazil, Brunei Darussalam, Bulgaria, Burundi, Cambodia, Cameroon, Cape Verde, Cayman Isl., Chile, Colombia, Comoros, Cook Isl., Costa Rica, Cote d'Ivoire, Croatia, Cuba, Cyprus, Czechia, Denmark, Djibouti, Dominica, Dominican Rep., Ecuador, El Salvador, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Estonia, Eswatini, Fiji, Finland, France, Gabon, Gambia, Georgia, Germany, Ghana, Greece, Grenada, Guatemala, Guinea, Guyana, Haiti, Honduras, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland (Rep.), Israel, Italy, Jamaica, Japan, Jordan, Kenya, Kiribati, Korea (Rep.), Lao People's Dem. Rep., Latvia, Lesotho, Liberia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Madagascar, Malawi, Mali, Malta, Marshall Isl., Mauritius, Mexico, Micronesia (Federated States), Moldova (Rep.), Monaco, Mongolia, Montenegro, Montserrat, Mozambique, Myanmar, Namibia, Nauru, Netherlands, New Zealand, Nicaragua, Niger, Niue, North Macedonia (Rep.), Norway, Oman, Palau, Panama, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Peru, Philippines, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Russian Fed., Rwanda, Samoa, San Marino, Senegal, Serbia, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, Solomon Isl., South Africa, Spain, St. Kitts and Nevis, St. Lucia, St. Vincent and the Grenadines, Suriname, Sweden, Switzerland, Tanzania, Thailand, Timor-Leste, Togo, Tonga, Trinidad and Tobago, Turks and Caicos Isl., Tuvalu, USA, Uganda, Ukraine, United Arab Emirates, Uruguay, Vanuatu, Vatican City (Holy See), Venezuela, Viet Nam, Zambia and Zimbabwe;
- passengers with a Chinese Taipei (on the cover: Republic of China Taiwan) passport;
- passengers with "the Palestinian Authority" passport.