Venture beyond Georgia’s capital and unearth ancient Kutaisi. Perched on the banks of the Rioni River, the bustling city served as the lynchpin of several historical kingdoms. Striking natural beauty and rich heritage await in this stunning Georgian destination.
Flights between Dubai and Kutaisi
flydubai will operate flights between Dubai and Kutaisi three times a week from 14 June and 22 September 2018.
Best things to do in Kutaisi
- Wander the city’s cobbled streets to Ukimerioni Hill and discover Bagrati Cathedral. Built in the 11th century but ruined by an explosion during the 17th, its striking reconstruction makes it a must-see.
- Ignite the senses at Kutaisi’s indoor market. Stroll through a maze of colourful stalls piled high with local produce and pick up mouth-watering treats.
- Hidden among the dense forest of the west Georgian mountains is Prometheus Cave. Voyage across a mystical underground lake and discover dramatic curtains of stalactites and petrified stone waterfalls.
- Explore Gelati Monastery, a medieval UNESCO World Heritage Site and one of the most stunning churches in Georgia. Be mesmerised by the intricate mosaics and frescoes lining the walls and discover murals dating back to the 12th century.
- Experience bustling Tsentraluri Moedani, Kutaisi’s central square, and take snaps of the grand Colchis Fountain. The lavish ornamental centrepiece is adorned with replica gold jewellery from the town of Vani.
- Feast on Georgian gastro favourites across the city’s network of restaurants - sample lobiani (bean pie) and khachapuri (fresh bread stuffed with cheese).
Tips for travellers
Georgia’s capital, Tbilisi, is only three hours east of Kutaisi. Maximise your break and take a road trip through this beautiful country to visit the capital city.