Our flights land in Bratislava in Slovakia, where you’ll continue your journey to Vienna by bus.
A mixture of grand architecture and modern living, Vienna offers a historic centre that’s a UNESCO World Heritage site, as well as a vibrant contemporary city to explore.
Top things to do and see
- The Prater amusement park is one of the city’s great family attractions. Soar over the city on the Ferris wheel and take a fun trip on the Lilliputian Railroad. The park itself is great for relaxing after sightseeing.
- Watch the equine ballet at the Spanish Riding School. You’ll be amazed at the skills of the Lipizzaner horses and riders as they move to the music. This is a very popular attraction, so you’ll need to book ahead.
- The Hofburg Palace, with its imperial apartments, museum and dazzling silver collection, is one of Vienna’s must-sees. This huge complex gives visitors a unique insight into Austrian culture and the Hapsburg Empire.
- Vienna is famous for its coffee houses, so don’t let your trip pass without sampling at least one. The elegant Café Sacher Wien opposite the Opera House is particularly popular – not just for its coffee and unique Viennese atmosphere, but for its Sacher Torte chocolate cake.
- Discover Vienna’s musical heritage at the Haus der Musik. It’s an interactive experience that lets you play instruments, compose your own waltz and record a CD.
Tips for travellers
Take a day trip to Salzburg. This elegant city has a beautiful old town and fortress to explore, as well as being Mozart’s birthplace.