With pristine white sand beaches, clear azure waters and a diverse abundance of sea life for snorkelers and divers, Maldives have long been considered amongst the world’s most idyllic locations.
A collection of atolls (coral islands) in the Indian Ocean, Maldives offer natural beauty, ecological areas of interest and historical culture within an environment of pure tranquillity.
Top things to see and do
- Dive in Fushifaru Thila’s soft coral reef, alongside its rich marine life - turtles, sharks, barracudas, manta rays and the many smaller fish that live in the reef.
- Visit the bustling Maldivian local market in Male', offering all kinds of goods and mementos from neighbouring atolls such as pearls and reptile skins to keep as a lasting memory of your trip.
- Experience the ancient archaeological site of Isdhoo, one of the uninhabited islands of Laamu Atoll.
- Enjoy a day of sailing, canoeing, windsurfing and other water sports at Machchafushi Island Resort, or simply a relaxing day of swimming.
- See historic mosques of Male', including the 17th century stonework and woodcarvings of Hukuru Miskiiy or 'Old Friday' mosque, the oldest in the country.
Tips for travellers
If visiting Maldives between May and September, head out to see the world’s biggest fish cruising around Ari Atoll.