Sudan’s sprawling capital city is made up of 3 districts: Khartoum, Khartoum North and Omdurman.
Enjoy a fascinating few days exploring its markets, mosques and museums or stop off as part of a longer scuba diving or safari holiday.
Top things to see and do in Khartoum
- Hunt for jewellery, leather goods and local art among the colourful stalls of Souk Omdurman, one of the oldest markets in Khartoum.
- Watch the Whirling Dervishes at the Hamad el-Nil mosque on Friday afternoons.
- Sample the local fuul (broad bean stew) from a street vendor. It might not look very appetising but it tastes delicious.
- Discover how Nubian and Christian influences have shaped Sudanese culture over the centuries at the National Museum.
- Escape the heat and hubbub of the Khartoum city among the rare plants in the National Botanical Gardens.
Tips for travellers
After you’ve finished exploring Khartoum, why not head to Sudan’s coast and go scuba diving in the Red Sea, or travel south-east to the Dinder National Park to see giraffes, leopards and pelicans.