Battery-powered wheelchair and other mobility aid
Battery-powered wheelchairs or other mobility aids can only be carried when they are for use by a passenger whose mobility is restricted.
If you’re travelling with a battery-powered wheelchair or other mobility aid, you must:
- Notify flydubai Customer Centre on +971 600 54 44 45 or your travel agent 48 hours in advance (before flight departure) to ensure the mobility aid is booked and advised accordingly. Also, provide us with details about the wheelchair dimensions, weight, and the type of battery used.
Battery-powered or electric wheelchairs are only accepted as checked baggage free of charge provided it is a mobility aid to the passenger travelling on the same flight and it has been prepared for transport as per the Conditions of carriage.
While packaging the wheelchair batteries certain safety precautions must be taken:
- The batteries must not be damaged or leaking.
- If the batteries are disconnected or removed from the wheelchair, they must be protected in a wheelchair battery box (normally provided with wheelchair).
- The battery box must be leak tight and resistant to battery fluid.
- Battery must be protected against activation and short circuit, and must be placed upright in a battery box.
- Electrical connection must be prevented so the wheelchair is not activated or switched on during the flight.
- Installed batteries must be securely attached to the equipment.
Please note: flydubai is not responsible for packaging batteries.
If you are travelling with a wheelchair powered by lithium or lithium ion battery, certain restrictions apply.
- The battery must not exceed 300 Wh, or for a device that is fitted with two batteries required for operation, each battery must not exceed 160 Wh.
- A maximum of one spare battery not exceeding 300 Wh or two spares each not exceeding 160 Wh may be carried.
Please contact our Customer Centre on +971 600 54 44 45 or your travel agent for more information.
Travelling with a battery-powered wheelchair with our partner airline
- If you have an onward connection with our partner airline, please ensure the other carrier is notified about the battery-powered or electric wheelchair.
- You must provide proof that the onward carrier will accept the wheelchair. If you are unable to provide proof of acceptance, you will not be allowed to carry the wheelchair.
- Personal wheelchair cannot be collected at transit or stopover airports. The wheelchair will be returned to you at the baggage reclaim area at your destination. You must request for assistance from the partner airline during transit or stopovers.
You may be able to carry small musical instruments as hand baggage if these do not exceed our allowed dimensions.
- If you wish to carry a valuable musical instrument as hand baggage but it exceeds our size or weight limitations, you’ll need to purchase an additional seat (subject to availability) in the same class of travel to store the instrument next to you during your flight.
- You may also be able to carry large musical instruments in checked baggage if there is enough space in the cargo hold compartment and subject to any excess baggage rates applicable.
- Hand baggage shouldn’t exceed 55cm x 38cm x 20cm or weigh more than 7kg if you’re travelling in Economy Class.
- If you’re travelling in Business Class, you may take up to two items of hand baggage on board with a combined weight of 14kg. Each item of hand baggage shouldn’t exceed 55cm x 38cm x 20cm.
You may be able to carry some sporting goods and equipment in your hand baggage if onboard space permits. These include:
- Tennis rackets
- Badminton rackets
- Squash rackets
Other sporting goods that may be considered dangerous such as sporting bats and clubs, baseball bats, softball bats, golf clubs, cricket bats, hard sporting balls (including for example, cricket, field, hockey, billiard and snooker balls and cues) aren’t allowed in hand baggage. You’ll need to carry them in your checked baggage.
You can carry TVs as checked baggage on our flights. However, the size of the TV must not exceed more than 55 inches. Please note: selected airports only allow TV size of 32 inches, please check with the airport(s) of your destination(s) for their rules and regulations.
Generally, you’ll not be allowed to carry any animals onboard our flights in hand baggage or checked baggage. You may be able to carry falcons onboard in hand baggage but this requires special prior approval. Please contact our customer support team for more details.
Seeing Eye dogs will only be accepted if your travel itinerary includes flights to United States of America (USA) and Europe (Emirates marketed flights). Service animals are not accepted on flights operated within flydubai destinations.
For more information, please read our baggage policies and conditions of carriage.