Located 500 kms south of Moscow, Voronezh is a beautiful city and a treasure trove of great facts and stories. Whether you’re heading for a business trip or a holiday, the city’s historical and archaeological monuments, wild life preservation parks, cathedrals, and museums won’t fail to disappoint you.
Top things to see and do
- Before you begin to explore Voronezh, start your day by getting your caffeine fix at Ptichka. Known for excellent coffee, this little café is trendy, stylish, and sets up a perfect atmosphere for any coffee lover.
- Visit Annunciation Cathedral – a historic monument and one of the tallest Eastern Orthodox churches in the world. This beautiful 97m-high structure is Russia’s third largest working church and was built in the late 19th century in Russo-Byzantine style.
- Witness over 200 fish species, tiger sharks, giant Japanese spider crabs, piranhas, seals, Humboldt penguins, and more at the Voronezh Oceanarium – Europe’s largest aquarium with a magnificent collection of marine-life and other rare animals.
- If you are someone who loves history, venture back in time by spending a few hours at The Voronezh Regional Literature Museum I. Nikitin and The Arsenal Branch of Voronezh Regional Museum. If you’re still craving for more, you can also visit The Kramsky Regional Museum of Fine Arts and The Anatoly Durov House Museum.
- Enjoy classical opera and ballet repertoire at the Voronezh State Theatre of Opera and Ballet. Originally known as the Voronezh Musical Theatre in the year 1931, this classical-style theatre has produced over 200 performances. You can also experience other cultural performances at the Voronezh State Theatre for Young Spectators and the Voronezh State Academic Drama Theatre.
- Your trip isn’t complete if you haven’t exposed your taste buds to authentic Russian delicacies. Take a walk to the Central Market and taste Russian cakes, deli items, spices, fresh produce of fruits, vegetables, cheese, and sausages. If you spot a hipster looking food truck in the market, don’t miss out on trying their delicious burgers.
Tips for travellers
If you plan to stay in the city a little longer, make time and drive two hours to Divnogorie which is located towards the southern part of Voronezh. Here, you can explore popular nature reserve, other unique cultural sites and beautiful landscapes.