Kolkata, also known as Calcutta, is a city in eastern India that truly embodies the soul of India. It was once the capital of British India, and the city is steeped in history and culture. Today, Kolkata is a bustling metropolis known for its colonial architecture, vibrant street life, and rich cultural heritage. It is also famous for its cuisine, particularly its sweets and street food. Whether you're interested in history, culture, or food or just want to experience the energy of a vibrant Indian city, Kolkata, also known as the 'City of Joy', is a soulful destination not to be missed.
Things to see and do in Kolkata
- Take a stroll along the sixth largest bridge in the world, Howrah Bridge, a symbol of Kolkata and an engineering marvel. Experience the vintage side of Kolkata through this iconic suspension bridge and explore the picturesque markets located there.
- Visit the Indian Museum, the oldest and largest museum in India, which is home to a vast collection of artefacts, including rare antiques, fossils, and mummies.
- Explore the Marble Palace, a 19th-century palatial mansion, the most fascinating and beautiful royal family place that exudes splendour. The palace houses many brilliantly crafted artistic statues, wonderful pieces of artwork, and elegant glassware that are showcased.
- Have a spiritual experience at the famous Dakshineswar Kali Temple, located on the banks of the Hooghly River.
- Delve into the past of Kolkata at the Victoria Memorial, an iconic marble building that houses a wide variety of artefacts, paintings that are over 200 years old, and the most beautiful gardens of Kolkata to stroll in.
- Visit St. Paul's Cathedral, a 150-year-old Anglican cathedral that is a stunning example of Gothic architecture.
- Explore Fort William, a monument from the colonial era of India, and journey back in time to when Kolkata began to come to life and admire the colonial architecture.
Tips for travellers
One of the most unique aspects of Kolkata is the grand celebration of 9 nights during Durga Puja, which attracts tourists from all over the world who come to witness the festivities and savour the delicious delicacies and sweets. Kolkata is famous for its street food and sweets, so be sure to try some of the popular street foods like phuchka, kathi rolls, and jhal muri. You can also indulge in sweets such as rasgulla, sandesh, and mishti doi.