Flights between Dubai and Kozhikode
flydubai will operate 3 flights a week between Dubai and Kozhikode starting 01 February 2019.
Kozhikode (Calicut) was once a bustling seaport for international trade. Today, it is a coastal gem where globetrotters flock to explore and unwind. This beautiful district boasts of pristine beaches, spectacular wildlife sanctuaries, gushing rivers, and serene hills. Take a trip to Kozhikode, Kerala's own piece of heaven on Earth.
Top things to see and do in Kozhikode
- Lose yourself amidst the swaying palm trees and the pleasant canals of the Kozhikode backwaters. Make memories with your loved ones on a boat ride over the Kallai river.
- Enjoy the stunning sunsets at the Kozhikode beach. Travel back in time with its colonial-era lighthouse and piers. Also, visit Dolphins Point to watch dolphins at play or the Marine Research Aquarium to admire marvellous sea-life.
- Climb to the top of the Kadalur Point Lighthouse, also known as Thikkoti Lighthouse. Visitors can still see remains of the shipwreck that led to the construction of this lighthouse in 1907. It acts as a stopover for migrating birds and gives climbers spectacular views of the rock formations of Velliyamkallu.
- Explore Beypore, a busy centre for international trade since the first century C.E. Its world-famous shipyard, with its iconic Uru ships, has been in operation since over 1,500 years. Even today, watching its expert craftsmen building colossal vessels is included in many tourist itineraries.
- Get in touch with your spiritual side at the Sreekanteswara Temple. Dedicated to the Hindu deity, Shiva, this temple promises to wrap you in tranquillity the moment you step foot inside. Take part in the many sacred rituals and follow up with a stroll through the temple grounds.
- Visit the Regional Science Center & Planetarium to gain thrilling insights into the infinite universe. It boasts of an impressive full-dome projection system and witnesses an annual footfall of over half a million.
- Shop to your heart's content at Valiyangadi. Nestled in the southern end of Kozhikode beach, this shopping haven offers Indian spices and handicrafts at very reasonable prices.
- Satisfy your sweet tooth at the renowned Mithai Theruvu or Sweet Meat Street, as it is fondly known. Don't miss the halwa, available in an astonishing range of colours and flavours, and freshly fried banana chips.
Tips for travellers
Drive to the nearby Malabar Wildlife Sanctuary, about 60 km from the Kozhikode city centre. The lush green expanse and gushing waters of Urakkuzhy, Peruvannamuzhi and Kakkayam will justify why Kerala is called God’s Own Country. The sanctuary is a biodiversity hotspot and offers adventure trekking opportunities.