Nicknamed the ‘Summer Capital of Russia’, Sochi abounds with sport, active recreation and eco-tourism opportunities. Famous for its fruit markets, this city is also home to the world's northwesternmost tea plantations.
From mountainous coastlines and gushing waterfalls to historical sites and vibrant nightlife - Sochi is home to more than 400 hotels, resorts and holiday camps. After it was selected to host the 2014 Winter Olympics and Paralympics, Sochi was transformed into a modern leisure haven.
Flights between Dubai and Sochi
flydubai will operate flights between Dubai and Sochi starting 7 June 2019.
Top things to see and do in Sochi
- Visit the Stadium Fisht, a multifunctional entertainment and sports centre located at Olimpiyskiy Avenue. It was built to serve as the primary venue of the 2014 Winter Olympics. Later, it was also used as one of the playing venues for the 2018 FIFA World Cup. Due to its grand, contemporary design, it is considered to be a 21st-century architectural marvel.
- Enjoy a day at the colourful Sochi Park, the first theme park of Russia. Located on Olimpiyskiy Avenue, it offers 5 fun-filled theme zones, 9 cafes, 10 crafts pavilions, and 12 amusement rides. You can opt for thrilling rides like the Alley of Lights, Firebird, Drifter and Quantum Leap. This wheelchair-accessible park also offers light-and-fountain displays and circus performances.
- Explore Stalin’s Dacha, the historic summer residence of Joseph Stalin and one of the main tourist attractions in Sochi. Located at Kurortny Avenue, it contains several intriguing artefacts like Stalin’s office desk, family pictures, billiard table, and original carpeting. You can soak in incredible views of the snow-capped mountains of the Main Caucasian Ridge here.
- Watch dolphins and fur seals play at the Sochi Dolphinarium Riviera. It is the largest auditorium in Russia and can accommodate 1,300 people. Located at Egorova Street, the complex was established to protect and preserve endangered marine mammals. Marvelling at the performance of these majestic creatures promises an enjoyable evening for children.
- Unwind on the picture-perfect beaches of Sochi. This city sits on the edge of the Black Sea with a 145-kilometres long coast. It boasts of 177 pebble beaches. Many of them allow you to rent motorcycles, pedal boats and more. Central Sochi Beach is a must-visit. Its calm and shallow waters are ideal for children. You can also rent sunbeds and row houses to relax and unwind.
- Shop at Sochi's famous fruit markets. One of the best ones to visit is Sochi Central Market, where you can find a variety of colourful, fresh and delicious fruits like grapes, bananas and oranges. Also, while here you can sample the local delicacy, Russian Lavash. You can savour this baked flatbread with a warm cup of tea.
Tips for travellers
Located 40 kilometres from Sochi, Krasnaya Polyana is a popular state reserve that hosted the 2014 Winter Olympics and Paralympics. It offers exciting paragliding, ice-skating and snowmobiling opportunities. From here, you can also gaze at the magnificent panorama of the Western Caucasus. Krasnaya Polyana enjoys pleasant weather all year round. Its sunny winters make it ideal for both skiing and sunbathing.