Formerly Bangalore, the city was once known as the Garden City of India. Today, it is recognised as the technological hub of India, nicknamed as Silicon Valley of India.
Bengaluru is an urban metropolis that also embraces a greener peaceful city. While holding on to its older reputation with historical structures, placid lakes, and lush green gardens, the city is also lavishly dotted with corporate offices, trendy cafes, swanky malls, and quirky restaurants, as it soars towards the future.
Top things to see and do in Bengaluru
- Exhibiting various styles, including Victorian, Neo-Classical, and Edwardian, the opulently decorated Bangalore Palace is a must-visit historical attraction of the city. Beauty and grandeur apart, the palace is a classic piece of British Raj architecture that follows the Tudor Revival style.
- Walk through the balconies and rooms of a palace that had once been the residence of the Sultan of Mysore. Adorned with elaborate arches, pillars, and balconies, the Summer Palace of Tipu Sultan reflects the Indo-Islamic style of architecture.
- Bengaluru is home to a number of beautiful religious sites such as the Bull Temple, Iskcon Temple, Surya Narayan Temple, and St. Mark’s Cathedral that not only exude a divine aura but are architectural and historical masterpieces as well.
- Stroll along the Lalbagh Botanical Garden which houses India's largest collection of tropical plants. A key attraction of the garden is its famous glass house that dates back to 1889.
- An oasis of green amidst a buzzing urbanscape, visit Cubbon Park, which has a thriving ecosystem with more than 6000 trees. Besides being home to multitudes of vibrant flora and birdlife, Cubbon Park is also where you will find a handful of the city’s most alluring structures including the Attara Kacheri, Seshadri Iyer Memorial Hall, and the grand State Archeological Museum.
- While known for its nightlife, shopping is most vibrant in Bengaluru. Home to street shopping, swanky malls, high-end stores, and culturally rich markets visit Brigade road, Commercial Street, Chickpet Market, Shivajinagar where you will get amazing stuff at great deals.
Tips for travellers
For a fascinating cultural and adventurous trip, venture to Devarayanadurga, a tranquil hill station and trekker’s paradise which is situated at an elevation of 4,000 ft (1,219.2 m), surrounded by numerous hillocks and beautifully crafted temples.