Set among picturesque mountains, Quetta is a laid-back city unspoilt by tourism where you can get a glimpse of the traditional Pakistani way of life.
Top things to see and do in Quetta
- Explore the city’s history at the Archaeological Museum of Balochistan. Not only will you find some fascinating relics from as far back as the Stone Age, but also beautiful manuscripts of the Quran and a whole range of captivating military artefacts too.
- Askari Park provides a meeting place for locals and is the place to go to take in some of the city’s most beautiful scenery. It’s also home to the Gardenia Hotel, which has an excellent restaurant serving up delicious food and drink.
- Worth a visit as much for the atmosphere as the colourful wares on offer, the central bazaar is where you’ll find everything from beautiful mirrors and Afghani carpets to fur jackets and sandals. Make sure you stop into one of the tea shops to sample local specialties including sajji – spicy leg of lamb.
- You can't visit Pakistan without tucking into a delicious curry. One of the most popular curry houses is the Usmania Tandoori Restaurant, which offers a good selection of tasty dishes as well as speedy service and budget prices.
- At the Geological Survey of Pakistan Museum, there’s a remarkable collection of dinosaur fossils, some dating back around 500 million years. Don’t miss the collection of meteorite fragments or the exhibition of precious gems, either.
Tips for travellers
For stunning views of truly amazing scenery, make the trip to Hanna Lake, which lies some 10km outside the city. Tree-lined pavilions provide the perfect place to take a relaxing stroll while the towering mountains reflect in the still, turquoise water to create an awe-inspiring effect.