See Saudi Arabia at its most commercial and cosmopolitan. On the shores of the Red Sea, Jeddah is an important trading port and the Kingdom’s second largest city – not to mention a popular destination for pilgrims on their way to Mecca.
Take advantage of the coastline, head east on a desert safari, or simply enjoy the hustle and bustle of this modern metropolis.
Top things to see and do
- Watch the sun set over the Red Sea while admiring the sculptures that line the seemingly endless Corniche.
- Barter for Jeddah souvenirs or simply soak up the atmosphere at the biggest market in Saudi Arabia – the Souk al-Alawi.
- Arrange a scuba diving course and explore life under the sea – whether you fancy daytime or twilight diving, there are courses in Jeddah to suit everyone.
- Spend a morning at the Al-Balad Fish Market and see the daily catch coming in fresh off the docks.
- Dine on some kabsa (a traditional rice-based dish) at one of the city’s many excellent restaurants.
Tips for travellers
For a taste of the more tranquil and traditional Saudi Arabia, organise a day trip to Taif or Yanbu – both within a few hours’ drive of Jeddah.