Cosmopolitan and at times chaotic, Baku has a bit of everything. On the western shores of the Caspian Sea, Baku is the largest city in Caucasus and it’s developing at a rapid pace.
Explore the old, the new and everything in between – and learn a bit about Azeri culture and cuisine along the way.
Top things to see and do
- Learn about Azeri rug-making on a guided tour of the Carpet Museum.
- Catch a show at the Azerbaijan State Academic Opera and Ballet Theatre – or simply admire the building’s stunning facade.
- Wander through the old walled city (Içeri Seher) and get lost in the magnificent maze of narrow alleyways.
- Step back through the ages at the Azerbaijan History Museum and be awed by the building’s extravagant interior.
- Take an afternoon stroll along Baku Boulevard, followed by a spot of twilight shopping at Fountain Square.
Treat yourself to some sweet nut pie (shekerbura) – one of Azerbaijan’s many culinary delights.
Tips for travellers
For a panoramic view of the capital, scale the spiralling stairs of Maiden’s Tower in the old walled city.