Discover old world charm and medieval architecture when you visit Krakow. A hub of culture, art and trading, this Polish city is a modern destination which still manages to perfectly retain its rich history.
Things to see and do in Krakow
- Take in the impressive Wawel Royal Castle. This renaissance-style building is a superb example of Krakow’s dramatic architecture and a must-visit destination. Head inside the fortress and marvel at the State Rooms, the Crown Treasury and even the Royal Private Apartments.
- Visit Rynek Glowny, Krakow’s central square, and be amazed by the vast size of this market space. Situated right in the heart of the Old Town, the medieval square is one of the biggest in Europe. Visit the Cloth Hall while you’re there to experience a shopping venue that dates back to the 13th century.
- Enjoy a fascinating day trip to the Wieliczka Salt Mine. With a place on UNESCO’s World Cultural and Natural Heritage List, this eerie subterranean site is definitely worth a visit. Go on an underground guided tour to learn about the history and importance to the city of the mine and see incredible salt carvings along the way.
- Venture beneath Krakow’s cobbled streets and discover an archaeological treasure trove. The Rynek Underground museum and exhibition takes you through a fascinating historical journey beneath the city’s famous market square. Wander through 11th-century streets and experience an astonishing trove of artefacts, providing a glimpse into Krakow’s past.
- Discover how the city was affected by WWII with a visit to Schindler’s Factory. The museum takes an interactive approach to storytelling, so you get a real picture of life during this troubled time.
- Treat your palette to a taste of traditional Polish cuisine. Tuck into a range of marinated meats at Pod Aniolami, where you’re seated in a stunning 13th-century cellar. For more traditional flavours in another historic venue, grab a table at the rustic Restaurant Honey Raspberry.
Tips for travellers
Immerse yourself in this country’s recent past with a trip to nearby Auschwitz. Take a tour and learn about this harrowing time in Polish history.