With its warm summers, Krasnodar and the surrounding region in the south of Russia are known for having the best climate in the country, so it’s not surprising that visitors flock here.
To start exploring the city, head for the main Krasnaya Street, the cultural heart of town.
Top things to see and do
- See a show. Krasnodar is packed with theatres – there are 12 of them along Krasnaya Street including the Philharmonic Hall and the Children’s Puppet Theatre.
- Take the kids to the water park. There’s a choice of two here, so there are plenty of opportunities for splashing about.
- Visit the parks. Krasnodar isn’t short of green spaces, which are great if you need a break from the bustle of the city. There are carousels for the kids in Park Chistyakovskoy and a little zoo in Solnechny Ostrov. The Botanical Gardens, with its cafés and pond, are a nice place for an evening stroll.
- Discover the local art at the Krasnodar Regional Fine Arts Museum and Krasnodar Regional Exhibit Hall.
- Don’t miss the Splash Fountain – this “dancing fountain” claims to be Europe’s largest.
Tips for travellers
For summer sun, the resort of Sochi on the “Russia Riviera” or Black Sea coast is about 5 hours drive from Krasnodar. And for winter sports, ski resort Krasnaya Polyana is a short trip inland from there.