Brace yourself for Istanbul, a city that stimulates all senses. Bustling markets, world-class eateries and a spectacular skyline fuse with awe-inspiring monuments of bygone eras on the shores of the Bosphorus Strait.
At the junction of Europe and Asia, Turkey’s economic and cultural capital is a place where East truly meets West.
Top things to see and do in Istanbul
- Explore the colourful twists and turns of the mighty Grand Bazaar – one of the biggest and brightest undercover markets in the world.
- Drink apple tea with the Istanbul locals and treat yourself to some mouth-watering Turkish Delight.
- Marvel at exquisite mosaic artistry inside the famous Aya Sofya – the historic church-turned-mosque in Istanbul, which is now open as a museum.
- Take a leisurely cruise up the Bosphorus, admiring grandiose Ottoman palaces and quaint fishing villages as you sail towards the Black Sea.
- Kick back and indulge at a traditional Turkish bath (Hammam) – the perfect way to unwind after a long day of sightseeing.
Tips for travellers
Enjoy an unforgettable dining experience in the Bebek district on the shores of the Bosphorus, where you’ll find some of the city’s best seafood.
Escape the hustle and bustle with a day trip to the Princes’ Islands – located to the south-east of the city in the Sea of Marmara.