Beirut’s got vitality, spirit and charm – not to mention one of the most stunning locations on the planet.
Once renowned as the “Paris of the East”, the city of Beirut has emerged from tough times as a thriving capital that boasts superb food, excellent shopping, striking colonial buildings and glistening sea views from almost all angles.
In the middle of Lebanon’s beautiful coastline,Beirut is also a great starting point for further exploration of the country.
Top things to see and do in Beirut
- Check out local and international contemporary artworks at the acclaimed Beirut Art Center.
- Bargain your way through Souk el Barghout at Martyrs’ Palace, where you’ll find handicrafts, jewellery, clothes and much more.
- Explore the cliffs and caves of Pigeon Rocks – two striking rock formations which jut out from the sea at the city’s westernmost point.
- Browse thousands of relics dating from prehistoric times to the Arab Conquest at the National Museum of Beirut.
- Feast on fresh salads, dolmades and dips galore with a mouth-watering mezze platter at one of Beirut’s many traditional restaurants.
- Watch the sun go down over the sparkling Mediterranean as you wander along the Corniche, the city’s coastal promenade.
Tips for travellers
Arrange a tour you’ll never forget to see The Cedars in north Lebanon. At their high altitude these ancient trees make for spectacular viewing and are a source of national pride.