Located in the Bay of Kotor in southwest Montenegro, this charming coastal town with its newly redeveloped first-class marina is one of the sunniest places in the region, attracting flocks of tourists from around the globe each year.
Things to see and do in Tivat
- Visit Bay of Kotor, a UNESCO World Heritage site and the largest natural harbour in the eastern Mediterranean. It’s also home to Porto Montenegro, a former naval base turned luxury marina which now features waterfront residences, hotels and restaurants, shopping, water sports and other leisure activities at very affordable rates.
- Explore the beautiful Summer cottage house Buca, a 17-century renaissance complex made of fine white trimmed stone, and visit one of the art exhibitions that often adorn its garden during the summer.
- If you feel more adventurous, hike up or take a bike tour to the Vrmac mountain for beautiful sights of lush pine forests and breathtaking views of Tivat and Kotor.
- Just 3km from Tivat, go back in time when you visit Gornja Lastva, an abandoned 14-century village with historic architecture and mysterious ambience.
- For an authentic taste of Montenegrin cuisine visit Sidro, a local restaurant at the first Tivat marina, Kalimanj. It’s loved by the locals for their amazing grill and hearty home-style food.
- Unwind in the shade of the City Park which is also a botanical garden and home to some very rare and exotic plant species.
Tips for travellers
Take a day trip to Kotor, another beautiful coastal town of Montenegro just 12 km away from Tivat. Situated in the secluded tip of Kotor Bay, the town’s winding cobbled streets, medieval churches and ancient buildings make it a must-visit place on your trip to Montenegro.