Nestled at the foot of Mount Etna, Catania wins hearts with its baroque piazzas and extraordinary culinary scene. With the azure Ionian Sea lapping at the shore, it’s the perfect place to experience Sicilian island life.
Best things to do in Catania
- Dive straight into the city’s bustling fish market, La Pescheria, and enjoy a taste of Catanian culture. Under the cover of red and white awnings, traders peddle fresh produce, their tables piled high with swordfish, mussels and anchovies.
- Stand in Piazza del Duomo and experience the heart of Catania’s culture. Lava and limestone have formed the Unesco World Heritage Site, with grand baroque masterpieces fringing the square. Don’t miss the iconic Fontana dell’Elefante, known widely as the symbol of the city.
- Immerse yourself in Catania’s history at the Parco Archeologico Greco Romano. Wander the ancient ruins of a 2nd-century Roman theatre and discover how lava stone was used in its impressive architecture.
- Originally built in the 11th century, Catania Cathedral was almost entirely destroyed in the 1693 Mount Etna eruption, but its baroque replacement remains an extraordinary sight. Marvel at the marble-clad façade with its Roman-style columns, then head inside and explore the ornate chapels and lavish frescoes.
- Venture to the imposing Castello Ursino and uncover the history of the 13th-century castle. Once the city’s stronghold, the fortress is now home to an extensive collection of historical paintings and classical-era artefacts.
- Take your taste buds on a culinary expedition and discover the treasures of Catania’s street food. Sample the best arancini (deep-fried risotto balls) on the island at Bar Savia, wolf down cipollina (puff pastry topped with mozzarella, tomatoes and ham) at Bakery Pacini and tuck into Sicilian speciality, pasta alla norma, at Al Tortellino.
- Indulge in a unique shopping experience at Sicilia Outlet Village. Top Italian and international brands in over 140 shops, with discount up to 70% all year round. High fashion brands, accessories, kids’ wear, sports and leisure wear and selected food services. For a special shopping experience, book Luxury Concierge or personal shopper service at the Info Point.
Tips for travellers
Embark on a day trip to Mount Etna, the most active stratovolcano in the world. Hike through the intriguing landscape and get a close up view of its smoking craters.
Video: Catania in 4K by Antonio Sbarra