Explore Mashhad, a city of shrines and gardens that attracts some 20 million pilgrims from all over the world every year.
Top things to see and do in Mashhad
- Fly to Mashhad with flydubai.Don’t miss the heart of Mashhad, Haram-e Razavi, the shrine of Imam Reza. Domes, minarets, fountains and porches abound in the fascinating and beautiful precincts of the shrine. The shrine complex also includes a library and museum, as well as the exquisitely decorated 15th century Goharshad Mosque.
- Go shopping in one of Mashhad’s bazaars. There you can find fabrics, textiles, religious souvenirs, perfume, jewellery and local crafts.
- Have fun with the family at the city park at Kuh-e Sangi. You can get great views of the city at the top of this hill above Mashhad. It’s a good place to have a stroll and buy some souvenirs.
- Visit Nader Shah’s tomb. Featuring a dramatic statue of King Nader riding a horse, the tomb is set in a garden in the centre of the city, and also has a museum.
- Enjoy some refreshments at the Hezardestan traditional teahouse. Here you can taste black or rose petal tea, admire the antiques and carpets and listen to some traditional live music.
Tips for travellers
A couple of hours from Mashhad is Neishabur. Here you’ll find the tomb of the poet Omar Khayyam set in a beautiful garden. Neishabur is also a great place to buy turquoise jewellery.