Situated along the leafy banks of the Dnieper river, Kiev is the perfect destination for a city break.
Whether you’re looking for stunning architecture, boutique shopping, high culture or first-class cuisine, Kiev has it all.
Top things to see and do
- Get a taste of the city at the famous Khreshchatyk street with its post-war Stalinist architecture and various restaurants. You can also savour a variety of fresh fruit, vegetables and local delicatessen at the Besarabsky Market.
- Climb the 95m bell tower or descend into the crypts of Kiev-Pechersk Lavra, also known as Kiev Monastery of Caves, the unique monastery complex listed as a UNESCO World Heritage site.
- Take in the atmosphere and shop for some authentic Ukrainian souvenirs, arts and crafts when you stroll down Andriyivskyy descent – Kiev’s most ancient street.
- See international opera and ballet stars at the beautiful Neo-Renaissance National Opera House of Ukraine.
- Admire the architecture of the Golden Gates of Kiev, one of the most important architectural and historical monuments of the Kyivan Rus’ period.
Tips for travellers
Why not discover the rest of Ukraine by cruising down the Dnieper to Odessa on the Black Sea coast. Lots of river cruise lines operate from Kiev and stop off in other Ukrainian cities like Zaporozhye, Kherson and Vilkovo.