Take your pick of flights to Helsinki with flydubai and start your journey to the fabulous Finnish capital. Business people and holiday-seekers alike flock to this beautiful city to experience a city that winds majestically around the Baltic bays and islands. Discover a city awash with modern culture and design, packed with wondrous architecture, an innovative creative atmosphere and a foodie scene bursting with sumptuous flavours indicative of northern European cuisine.
Flights between Dubai and Helsinki
flydubai will operate daily flights between Dubai and Helsinki from 11 October 2018.
Things to see and do in Helsinki
- Sitting just outside the city, discover the awe-inspiring Suomenlinna sea fortress. This UNESCO listed 18th-century stronghold connects six islands and is packed with maritime history. Now out of action, you’re free to wander the walls and marvel at its majesty, or visit the waterside restaurants and brewery on the grounds.
- Perched on a hill and looking out across the city is Uspenski Cathedral. From outside, you’ll be in awe of this stunning Orthodox church. Admire the striking example of ornate and intricate Russian design, with eye-catching cupolas and red-tinged bricks. Head inside and the artistry continues. Gaze in awe at the design and detail that decks the walls.
- At its heart, Helsinki is a bustling market town. Get a taste for this lively destination and venture to the harbour-side Market Square. Explore the delicious local foods and souvenirs as you explore the stalls and pick up stylish vases, jewellery and crockery. While at the seafront, stop for a bite at a café, serving fresh herring and local produce from the surrounding countryside.
- Wander the streets of the city and you’ll see boutique galleries and workshops around every corner. Head to the Design Museum for more of these contemporary, functional works from a plethora of modern Finnish and international artists. Then visit Sinebrychoffin Taidemuseo for a beautiful collection of European paintings, with many classic works by the old masters, including household names such as Rembrandt.
- Unlike many cities, in Helsinki you’re never far from green spaces. A third of the Finnish capital is made up of lush green areas, perfect for enjoying a little tranquillity. The Central Park and surrounding forests makes for a sublime escape and a beautiful destination for a walk.
Tips for travellers
Get a real feel for the modern design and architecture that brings Helsinki to life. In every street you’ll find evidence of the city’s rapid modernisation. See the elegantly streamlined Kiasma building and marvel at the impressive architecture before you head inside to see an exhibition of international contemporary art. As you uncover the city, stop off at Sibelius Park to see the intriguing Sibelius Monument. This dedication to the Finnish composer of the same name brings together music and modern design to produce a truly impressive landmark.